Friday 13 December 2013

Chic womankind (and mankind)

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?

We all are! Everyone has the potential to be attractive and well dressed. I don't mean expensively dressed just well dressed.

Being disabled and using a wheelchair means I prefer to wear trousers, jeans, slacks, cropped trousers, as long as they are comfortable. I wear tunics, tops, t-shirts and sometimes a blouse.One requirement is that they have sleeves these days. I do have skirts and a dress but frankly I prefer trousers when I am in the chair as they are much more practical. I have seen some very unfortunate sights of women wearing skirts or dresses sitting in a wheelchair and it was not a pretty sight either! Skirts too short and showing, what my grandmother called 'next week's washing'! Oh dear!!

Being disabled doesn't mean you have to look scruffy, badly dressed and not care about your appearance. That is what non disabled people think we are like. A little while ago two friends spoke of their encounters with people who had definite ideas on what we should wear. One met an acquaintance who said, 'Oh, you look nice!' In a surprised voice. To which my friend replied, 'don't I usually then?' Exactly. This is a person who takes pride in her appearance, visits the hairdresser regularly and dresses well; not expensively but well (there is a difference). The other friend was affronted when a 'well meaning acquaintance said my friend should wear tracksuits rather than what she was wearing, 'as it would be better for people helping you dress!' The last thing my friend would wear is a tracksuit! How dare people say such things, but they do.

It is the season of parties and celebrating and as much as anyone I will dress to impress! Sparkles, spangles, shiny stuff, silver earrings, silver bangles, sparkly rings - you name it I will do it. And all cheap too! I am not going to break the bank with diamonds and other expensive gems but will sparkle, ta dah!

As I will be encountering my fashion conscious two and a half year old granddaughter over Christmas I will HAVE to wear sparkles or get told off, yes I am nagged by a mini fashion designer. But I am happy to wear sparkles, even sparkly nail varnish.

So, why do people have the idea that disabled people can't wear anything à la mode? Perhaps they think we would get too much above ourselves if we dared look like everyone else, or dressing down kept us in our place, perhaps they think we can't 'carry it off' like a non disabled person? Perhaps all these reasons.

At the Christmas party for the Stroke Association Aphasia Group I looked around and everyone was beautifully turned out, especially the ladies. Sparkles, Christmas earrings, party hats, smart trousers mostly but a few dresses, makeup, hair coiffed, everyone was determined to look their best. And why not? Perhaps we are disabled and our speech is dubious but we like to have fun. Eating, drinking, pulling crackers, playing pass the parcel, doing a quiz and singing Carols; wonderful. A scene no different to that at any club, group or office party. I always dressed up for my office party so I am not going to stop now!

I am not offended when someone says to me, 'I do like your scarf, where did you get it?' Because they appreciate my taste. It is those who say with an air of amazement, 'that is a lovely scarf YOU are wearing.' I  just say, 'yes I chose it because I like it.'

I wore an unusual poppy leading up to  Remembrance Sunday, it was knitted by a member of the Trefoil Guild. Everyone who saw it commented on it and asked where I got it, I swear I could have sold nearly a hundred of them! It was a talking point and got me conversing as well as I could with people.I have had various conversations over the years with people about clothes and accessories and, whilst many have been favourable to my tastes, some have looked at me aghast when I say what I think of an item. Sometimes even the comment of 'YOU would wear THAT' has been heard, adding, 'you are in a wheelchair.' Umm, yes, this is a wheelchair, ten out of ten for observation!

 I have noticed that the men at the group also looked well turned out, whether that is them or their wives/partners doing I am not sure but it is encouraging to see them taking pride in themselves. Being disabled doesn't mean loosing your tastes, ability to chose for yourself or mean you should look like a scarecrow. I visit the hairdresser regularly and she will tell you I have the ability to tell her what I want done. I have my eyebrows, lip and chin waxed as those wispy hairs get on my nerves. I shave my legs - yes OK so I wear trousers, but I know that my legs are hairy! I don't wear makeup as it aggravates my eczema and I have Sjogrens Syndrome which causes very dry eyes. But I am clean and I make sure my hair is washed and tidy so I am not worried over that.

Becoming disabled does seem to be accompanied by depression and one of the signs of that is when a person stops taking a pride in their appearance, I know this from experience. It is so easy to not bother washing your hair, changing your clothes, washing clothes and pressing them. It becomes a downward spiral. So when a disabled person does take pride in themselves it shouldn't go unnoticed but done in a sensitive way. Instead of telling them what they should wear, compliment them on the colour chosen, the style, the cut, the fabric. I was told how lovely a tunic I bought looked because the collar draped beautifully. I was told the colour complimented my colouring, how nice the fabric looked. That is what I like to hear, not the amazement that I would choose such a thing!

Yes, like a lot of people I have made big errors of judgement in certain purchases but on the whole I chose what I like for me, not anyone else. After all I am not asking them to wear it!

The late, great Joyce Grenfell in one of her monologues said of clothes, 'They look quite promising in the shop, and not entirely without hope when I get them back into my wardrobe. But then, when I put them on they tend to deteriorate with a very strange rapidity and one feels sorry for them'. I daresay many of us can empathise with that feeling.

So, this season, or any season dress to impress - not anyone else but yourself. Disabled or not, “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” said Mark Twain.


And Karl Lagerfeld said, “Never use the word “cheap”. Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too). There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a T-shirt and jeans — it’s up to you.”



 
Chic womankind


Minis, maxis, on the knee
Cropped pants, shorts, slacks, jeans
T-shirts, vests, blouses, tunics
Jumpers, cardies, shrugs, hoodies
Shoes, boots, sandals, crocks
Bare legs, stockings, tights, socks
Raincoats, overcoats, duffles, parkas,
Fleeces, shawls, capes, cagoules
Hats, caps, berets, snoods
Earrings, necklaces, brooches, pins
Rings, bracelets, cuffs, bangles
Handbags, satchels, rucksacks, purses
Holdalls, shoppers, clutches, carriers
Wheelchairs, crutches, sticks, scooters
Looking good, looking smart
Proud of the reflection in the mirror
Brush your hair, put on the lippy
Slick on the mascara, paint your nails
Spray on the perfume, face the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment