Sunday 23 March 2014

Digging deep

This is Coral's husband writing this introductory paragraph to a new entry to the blog. Coral had another stroke in January that worsened her Aphasia leaving her with great difficulty with memory of names and being able to spell. She still has lots of ideas, so I thought she should continue with her blog. Therefore, below is her latest entry unaltered by me. I am sure you will be able to understand what she has written and it gives a great insight into the problems she is having with her spelling.


I not writen since my stroke in Janry. Now I want to start again, with help.

I found I can't see words in my hed so not no how to spel, I could here them so I spelt like I here, feneticaly.

I was embaresed to write and would avoid writing anything. I get more confident now and it easier to rite but stil problm with speling. I reed though and hope I lern spel from reding.

A more upseting thing is remembring names, I not know the names of husbnd, daughters, grandchildren, frends. It make me cry to try remembr, it like a fog in brane and I try hard to think. My husbnd made books for me with picures of famly an frends and he put names on picures so I can find who want and see name.

My granddaughter likes nanny Coucou's specle book ! I have one with things from house in it. I can find the thing and point if I want. It make it easy for husbnd to work out and not have to gess !

When I have name person or thing then I try say name. That not easy. I try lots say over, over gain. In famly we have peple with names sound like. That confuse me. Some sounds not easy say and not come out rite.

Some days betr others. I think and talk betr so I get confident then next day I bad gain. I use tablet to rite and that has predicted text, so when use tablet peple say 'oh you are betr. You rite real good gain, glad you back normel !' 'I say not good I use predictive text, ' 'oh that sad.' Yes it sad but I bit betr use text as some spel is betr when use computer.

I stil understnd what peple say me, but when I try lissen long talk I not understnd. Short talk with picures to brake it up I cope with, but just talk that go on long time confuse me. I panic and cry.

My stroke last yeer that mean I have Aphasia upset me but names and riting stil there. This stroke made more bad, it hard acsept.

I have speech therapy with lady and work with husbnd on souns and words. He gets me talk on subgect and let me say what want. Therapist good she help lot.

I found I swere now and not something I do befor stroke Janry. In book I see peple have same problm and I reed :

Swearing
Even if you can't say very much, you may find yourself swearing a lot. This can happen even if you rarely swore before the stroke.
Because of the stroke, the brain may have less control over what is said. Swear words may be easier to get at than words you want to say.

Sometimes people who have Aphasia don't know they're swearing.

What you can do :
Remember that swearing is one of the effects of the stroke.
Help others to understand why you are swearing a lot.
Perhaps show them this section of the Stroke and Aphasia Handbook.

As time passes, you should find yourself swearing less and getting more control.

This reasures me that it not my forlt that this happen. But when say to speech therapist they not no bout this hapen to peple. But speeech therapist on the ARC group say it comon problm and she say keep calm !

I get betr talk spel, predictive text and copi/paste help lot. As do that and reed more it go in and hope , soon I do betr.



The Mask


I hear the comments peple make of me
You are hapy, you look well, bettr than ever
Life is good to you, you have come through so well.
They see the mask I were that hides the truth.

Remove the mask and see what lies beyond
The confushon in my hed, the battle with words
The names I cannot remembr,
The strugle to live day to day.

I wear my mask to protect those around me
To tell them I cope with this pain
To face a criticle world
To convins myself I am not beaten.

My batle for words never ends
My batle to remembr agonises
My batle with the fog envelups me
I batle to live a normle life.

My mask is my protecter
My mask get me thrugh the days
My mask tells peple I can live
My mask says here is a surviver.













2 comments:

  1. God Bless you Coral, I admire you so much. As I told you in a previous message, my husband has Parkinsons and mini strokes. All any of can do is to deal with our daily struggles a day at a a time. Some days we deal 5 minutes at a time. Dig your heels in baby. Go for it all.

    ReplyDelete